Prokofiev’s Peter and the Wolf lends itself well to many different classroom objectives. Whether you’re looking for a stand-alone lesson, listening activities, bundles, or even units, there are lots of great resources available. Some teach new concepts, some allow students to exercise their listening skills, while others are more geared towards creative interaction with a beloved piece of music. Check out the lessons and resources below and find just what you need to bring Peter and the Wolf to life in your classroom.
- Peter and the Wolf Music Lesson Pack. This bundle includes tools for exploring both the composer and his most well-known work. A kid-friendly biography with review activities, listening glyphs, and a comic-strip listening lesson plan are just some of the resources in this collection.
Get Peter and the Wolf Music Lesson Pack
Hey Kids, Meet Sergei Prokofiev | Biography
Sergei Prokofiev | Composer Word Search
Meet the Composer Job Application
Peter and the Wolf | Listening Glyphs (3)
Peter and the Wolf | Comic Strip Worksheet and Lesson Plan
Peter and the Wolf | Draw!
Peter and the Wolf | Match!
2. Peter and the Wolf Listening Journal and Fact Sheet. This highly rated Teachers Pay Teachers offering leaves students with their own, self-made informational booklet at the end of their study, and the printables make preparation simple.
Get Peter and the Wolf Listening Journal and Fact Sheet
14 Color-able fact sheets
2 Listening log pages
3. Peter and the Wolf Worksheets and Writing Prompts. Approachable worksheets help young students review the story and instrumentation and then advance to higher level thinking, putting themselves in the shoes of composer and characters. Many music teachers are encouraged to incorporate writing, and this is a natural way to do it.
Get Peter and the Wolf Worksheets and Writing Prompts
4. Peter and the Wolf Listening Lesson. Leitmotifs are just one of the many musical techniques that Peter and the Wolf exemplifies. This lesson introduces that concept and guides students to find the story in the music.
Get Peter and the Wolf Music Listening Lesson
5. Songs, Visuals, and Activities for Peter and the Wolf. For an extensive study of Peter and the Wolf, try this 79-page unit plan from Teachers Pay Teachers. Beat and ostinato are two of the concepts covered, and the visuals are exceptionally attractive.
Get Songs, Visuals and Activities for Peter and the Wolf
“Follow Me” beat activity
Peter and the Wolf beat visuals for beat-tracking
Story visuals: Image and text cards
Rhythmic ostinato activity and flashcards
Prokofiev and the Peter and the Wolf Worksheet (reading with questions)
Listening Worksheet for Peter and the Wolf
Peter and the Wolf” slideshow
Bulletin board visuals for each character with their instrument
A picture of Prokofiev
Directions for the set, including picture book and unit suggestions
6. Peter and the Wolf FunLibs Story Synopsis and Worksheet. This worksheet is a fun way for students to learn, review, and have fun with the story in the music. It could easily accompany a larger lesson or unit, or it could facilitate a short introduction to the piece.
Get Peter and the Wolf FunLibs Story Synopsis and Worksheet
7. Peter and the Wolf Work Stations. Dive into Peter and the Wolf station-style with 5 hands-on activities perfect for station work. The variety will keep students engaged and the creativity will ensure students won’t soon forget Peter and the Wolf.
Get Peter and the Wolf Work Stations
Peter and the Wolf Color by Note
Peter and the Wolf Crowns
Peter and the Wolf Cut and Tell
Peter and the Wolf Dabber Activities
Peter and the Wolf Flap Book
8. Peter and the Wolf Storybook PowerPoint. A great accompaniment to any unit or listening session, this PowerPoint presentation puts a storybook on the screen. With colorful illustrations and text, this 33 page presentation brings story time to the music classroom.
Get Peter and the Wolf Storybook PowerPoint
Related Music Lesson Plan Posts:
John Williams Music Lesson Resources | Lesson Plan Guide
Ludwig van Beethoven Music Lesson Resources | Lesson Plan Guide
Tchaikovsky | Homeschool Music Lesson Curriculum
Johann Sebastian Bach | Homeschool Music Lesson Curriculum
Free Elementary Music Lesson Plan Template
Elementary Music Lesson Plans | 24 Lessons
Essential Questions for the Music Classroom | Printable Lesson Pack